Every day you stayed up late watching your favourite shows, you ate breakfast for lunch and did fun stuff with family and friends. You are enjoying yourself and then come to the realisation that: it’s time to go back to work.
The vision of going back to the office after vacation is not something a lot of people are comfortable with. Making the transition from holiday to work is not something people look forward to, but let’s be realistic it’s going to happen sooner or later. We are sure that you feel that reality is awful, and you will be be faced with a number of different emotions but we are here to help you.
As many of us go back to work in some days, here are some survival tips to help you smooth your reentry into the work routine:
- Plan for your return before you depart: As soon as you know that you are going to be away from the office, focus on getting organised for your return. Try to settle everything before you leave.
- Check your emails and prioritize: We are 99% sure that you will be greeted by a number of emails, forms and templates on your desk. Rather than ignoring them and expecting them to sort themselves out, take a few minutes to process and prioritize. The longer you wait, the chances are that the pile will increase.
- Check your calendar: You have been away for some days now and you probably need a little reminder of what’s going on at the office and the meetings you have to prepare for. You better prepare so you wont be completely caught off- guard for you 9AM meeting with your boss or client.
- Take it at your pace and do one thing at a time: You may feel the urge to do a lot of things at the same time to catch up but we can tell you straight away that it is not a very good idea. You will confuse and stress yourself out. Focus on one thing at a time!
- Make some fun plans: Try to meet your colleagues for a nice brunch or quick lunch to make your comeback week a bit less harsh. This also means that you will also have something to look forward to on your first week back.
- Do not stay at work late: This is a big no no! Going back to work after a holiday is not an easy task so don’t overdo it by staying late. It might take some days to settle and that is perfectly fine. Stay calm and relax and leave when your are supposed to leave. You will be back to your old routine in no time.
We really hope that you will find these tips super helpful. We are sure that these tips will ease your way back in the work routine after your holiday.