Cuba is the country of indescribable charm. Clear blue water, miles of white sand beaches, beautiful architecture, colourful facades, vintage cars, the best cigars and rum are some of the reasons why I fell in love with Cuba.
Cubans are the gem of this country with their vibrant personalities, lively culture, and welcoming hospitality. If you have paid this country a visit then I am sure that you know what I am talking about. For those who never been before, get ready to discover one of the world’s best kept secret. Perhaps the isolation from the more modern world has helped to conserve the personality of the Cuban society. Cuba seems to be lost in time, somewhere in the 1950’s and it is not just the old cars or colonial architecture with peeling pain that makes it seem this way. However, one has to accept that Cuba is slowly changing in subtle ways. The country hasn’t completely opened up but the change is becoming more apparent.
These are some of the reasons why you should visit Cuba next year:
- Visit before the crowds: The time to go is now! Before the crowds, before the outsider influence and before the country is forced to lose some of the culture to please the tourists. One of the best things about Cuba is that it’s pristine and innocent- it lacks humongous hotels, overcrowded beaches and chains such as Starbucks and McDonalds.
- Another reason is the Historical Heritage: Cuba is home to a number of UNESCO world heritage sites- 9 to be precise. These are places of special cultural or physical significance and are therefore protected. Old Havana and the fortifications make it at the very top of the list. San Pedro de la Roca Castle is one of the most complete and well- preserved Spanish- American defenses.
- Cigars: Cuba is often called the land of tobacco as it is both grown and harvested in several regions of the island. Visiting a cigar factory is a must and Havana is the ideal city to do this. Tobacco has always been and will continue to be a huge part of Cuba’s economy.
- Music and Art: Cuba is an island that pleases the senses. I once heard someone say that Cubans were born to play music and create gorgeous pieces of art. And I completely agree! Background music is omnipresent- it flows from local musicians who play all the time, wherever they are. Art is another way Cubans love to express themselves. The markets are full of locally produced art sold very low prize.
- Small towns: We all heard about some of the biggest cities in Cuba but the small colourful towns are the real charms. Trinidad is a must as it is the most preserved colonial town. It is located in the center of Cuba, and is easily accessed from many places. Trinidad is a picture perfect town with breathtaking architecture and vibrant colours.
Cuba is an explosion of light, colour, intellect, music and life. This is idea ideal country for you if you are looking for a place where you can relax, enjoy and find yourself. Step out of your comfort zone and discover what the real Cuba has to offer!